TIP JAR

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Crickets are Chirping. At Twilight?

I am a delinquent blogger. It’s not that I don’t have the call to write, it’s that I haven’t felt like I have anything worthy of posting. All the time I have spent trying to think of the perfect post has kept me from writing what’s really on my mind. Sadly, my long-awaited debut was inspired by a mainstream teen movie. Guh.

I went to see New Moon the other day. A matinee with lots of other women my age sitting alone. The peace of only having to listen to my own thoughts was overwhelming. The joy of being alone doing something enjoyable carried me for so many days I’m even considering going again.

We have been in Tualatin for almost a year. Although our whole family is much, much happier here, almost six months of unemployment has definitely taken its toll. I am not cut out to be a full-time mom. Trying to keep a toddler entertained, enriched, and healthfully fed has come close to consuming me. As I write this I am waiting to hear about a potential job offer, and trying to figure out how I’m going to climb out of this hole and become a person again. She’s still in there; I know because I heard her while alone with thoughts of vampires and humans.

Years ago, I was introduced to vampires and werewolves and all other sorts of fairy-tale creatures. As much as my adult influences would try to stop it, I got closer and closer until I could touch them, these creatures from make-believe. They’re real. As real as you or I or anyone we know. The problem is, how to merge the outside pretend-real with what I know to be real? Who gets in on the secret? How do I find the others?

Sometimes I think I see one in the eyes of someone I’ve seen at both Portland PRIDE and the Portland Aids Walk. I toy with the idea that if I join this club or that I might find someone who wants to be in the same coven. The rest of my creatures are scattered about the country, centered in the Midwest, or buried in the earth. I have met new friends here, but it’s not the same. As I get older they seem harder to find.

I know we’re in the right place, and are lucky to have a few old friends nearby, but is there any place in the world that will feel like living in Urbana in 2002? I’m content for now, but still look to a future where many of us can gather close, circle the fire, and commune.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Paxton. I can find them again if you trust me.

JadeEJF said...

I don't know- I think we all have those dreams from time to time. While we were in Ohio, I came up with this fabulous plan to buy a ridge top farm like theirs, and start up a commune with you guys and a few of our friends from here. I could play with the kids and plant the garden (though I would need turns, too), Carl could do all the tech stuff, someone else could cook, someone else could chop wood (I tried this weekend and am terrible). The worst thing of it is, is that I know the money we're spending on the house *could* be used to fund such a venture. Only then we'd all have to move to Ohio and grow our own food. I'm putting it off until retirement or something else comes along, but I so wish I didn't have to. Having to make a living sucks monkey balls.

JadeEJF said...

I forgot to mention that obviously you would have to take care of the horses. ;)