TIP JAR

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Wheelchair Travels

I realized yesterday that for the first time in many months, my health was better on Friday than it was on Monday. I had two appointments last week, one with the Ortho that gave me the hip injection and one with a Podiatrist. I have an old ankle injury and tendonitis in the same leg that has the labral tear hip problem so I'm now in a walking boot. But that actually translates into me being able to walk without crutches or the wheelchair, even outside on uneven ground.
With my newfound freedom I decided to stop by the campfire at my kids' house and I got to reconnect with old friends I hadn't seen in a long time. It felt good to be on my two feet and I feel taller than I ever have. I truly can't imagine being in a wheelchair full-time, especially without the ability to stand up even momentarily to reach something or see something up on a countertop. I'll share a tip I learned while being in the chair: don't lean on, touch, or begin to push someone's wheelchair without their permission. There is nothing more frustrating than being headed in one direction, stopped for a specific reason, or otherwise going about one's business when a "helpful" person decides to take over your bodily autonomy. I am generally a quiet person, and only become assertive if absolutely necessary, but I have politely let people know that grabbing the back of my chair is more of a hindrance than a help. If you do want to help a disabled person, perhaps holding a door open or reaching up to pour their fountain drink would be a better bet, but always *ask* if/how you can help.
This morning's coffee was delicious, but our pantry was pretty bare. And SNAP money doesn't come out until the 4th. However, at about the time to start cooking lunch, our amazing neighbor came over with some chicken and other ingredients. So today we'll cook and break bread with her. The chicken will probably end up being curry chicken! 😋 Also, CB starts his new full-time, permanent job on Tuesday. Which of course is fantastic news for us but leaves me a bit nervous. I know I am in much better shape being left home alone than I was a few months ago though. Trying to stay positive. Also I want to go to our local charity called "Salt and Light" and sign up for their volunteer program. I think I could be a greeter sitting in a chair at the door and they only require 20 hours/month. Then I'd get store credit for what they sell, which includes groceries, housewares, and pretty much anything else we'd need.
Another exciting thing for me is that my lease is up at the end of July! And I assumed I'd be resigning for another year, but with Chris and my forces combined I know we can afford a whole house! Maybe even a 3 bedroom house! It will be little, but still in Urbana. I can imagine the kids having a room to sleep in and I think the extra room would have to be a space for C to spread out and make noise with all his toys. And that thought makes me feel happy and content and keeps me going another day.
When I think about all the things I couldn't do without help, instead of feeling sad and helpless I just feel grateful, appreciative, thankful, and glad that I have the community I do. Love to all and thanks for reading and sharing. 😁

1 comment:

Heidi Leuszler said...

Try to come to the Champaign Farmers Market Tuesday 6/11. They triple your SNAP benefits. ("It will be a Triple Match Snap day, so a match of up to $20 for a persons LINK card swipe. You swipe up to $20 and well double match that amounts up to $40, so a total of $60") There was also some deal that people who swiped their cards at the market 8 times got $300 of free coupons for the indoor urbana market and common ground co-op.